Friday, January 14, 2011

A slight change from the day to day...

Sorry to interrupt the vacation posts but I HAVE to share an adventure I had today...

I helped deliver a baby!!!

I was just sitting in the office in Yalu, minding my own business, when the Doctor came in and asked if I wanted to come with him to do a house visit. Now, we do house visits for all sorts of illness, usually not very interesting so I didn't think much of it. As we were walking however, he said something about 'trabajo de parto' which directly translates as 'work of labor'. Even though I wasn't 100% sure what that meant I started getting a little nervous. Once we got to the house, I knew immediately I was in for an adventure! 

The woman was probably 20-22 years old, strangely quiet compared to what I've seen of labor in the movies (hehe :)), but laying on the bed and breathing REALLY heavy. The Doctor immediately checked the heartbeat then told me that it was time. At first I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to do anything to help I was so shocked but soon another contraction came and the Doctor was yelling at me to push on her stomach. Push on her stomach! My doctor and nurse friends are going to have to help me out with that one but I'm pretty sure that is not standard delivery protocol in the states! After 30 minutes or so, and with a LOT of prayer, out popped a beautiful baby girl. I'll spare you the gritty details but lets just say it was sufficiently messy enough to make me rethink having a baby anytime soon :) BUT for my friends that are currently pregnant...man was it beautiful. I was practically bawling! 

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I thought that would be a little much :) Maybe if I make this a habit I'll get some in the future!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! Are they going to name the baby after you?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm pretty sure that one disclaimer was for me. Thanks, Kel :). What an amazing thing to witness, sounds like you did great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing Kelley didn't post any photos :)

    ReplyDelete