Friday, February 4, 2011

Gettin real

    Our time in Guate has been, like life anywhere, filled with both beautiful and challenging events. But Gregg and I have noticed multiple times since we've come that we feel hopeless or even oppressed by something. This morning I again realized that I have been feeling somewhat depressed for the past few weeks because of this urgent need to DO. To start more projects, learn more Spanish, form more relationships, get closer to God, etc, etc, etc. I've been trying so hard to 'make the most of the time we have here' that I am rushing things and not truly enjoying the process. Another emotion that has become a more and more present is fear. Fear that I'm not going to do enough. Fear that I'll try to start a project in Yalu or help in some way and end up doing more harm than good because I don't fully understand the culture. Fear that I'll never fully master the language and always feel like an idiot.
    But Gracias a Dios He is teaching both Gregg and I more and more everyday what it means to have joy in every situation. We have been praying that God would truly open our eyes to what we need to learn about the culture, how we can humble ourselves more, and above all to slow down and enjoy the time He has given us here by relying on Christ's perfect timing to work through us without fear or hesitation.
    Anyways...on quite a few blogs that I read I've been seeing more and more lists of 'things I love', or 'things that make me happy,' etc. After all that complaining and depressing stuff, I'm going to try making myself more aware on a regular basis of the many things we have to be thankful for here in beautiful Guatemala:
- so many wonderful people with which we have community. Missionaries, roommates, visitors, and locals alike - we have met some truly awesome and inspiring people here.
- work that is rewarding and challenging and lets us get out of our comfort zone which is truly where God can do the most work.
- delicious fruits and veggies for basically pennies. Oh the avocados, pineapples, tomatoes, even the cucumbers - we are so spoiled
- stove top popcorn provided by family and friends from the states. Not exactly the same without my beloved whirlypop but delicious none-the-less
- getting the opportunity to house-sit for a missionary who is going back to the states. we will have a big, beautiful house with a big, beautiful kitchen all to ourselves for two months!
- time to read and bake and pray and play. Because of the above mentioned blessing of a large, fully stocked kitchen, I am going to challenge myself to try new recipes and expand my cooking repertoire. Gregg is really bummed ;)
- and last but not least getting to know my husband in new - sometimes good, sometimes not - ways. Our relationship is also be blessed and challenged in ways it never was in the States. I am trying to cherish this time when we can spend basically everyday together and learn to love one another in a more Christ-like manner

3 comments:

  1. love it. (and take your vitamin d? oh wait, that's for seattle hmmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. it challenges me. you are making a difference. maureen e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gregg & Kelley,
    I think of you both often. I hope you don't forget how much we love and miss you while at the same time, being very excited and encouraged by your time serving and growing in what God has for you. You guys have been a blessing to me even being so far away. I'll will be praying that God will continue to work in and through you, your ministry, work, marriage, etc. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete