Monday, December 13, 2010

Guate Food 101: Fruits and Veggies

Well we made it home safe and sound from a great weekend in Yalu. Highlights were; seeing old friends and making new ones, having a 'MEMO'rial for Memo Jones - co-founder of Mano Con Mano, baking 12 cakes, playing with the kids, taking walks to the beautiful farm, and discussing exciting changes that will be coming this year for Yalu and Mano Con Mano. But we'll save more on that for later since there are still more exciting things to come this week!

In the meantime I wanted to indulge my nutrition/girl/foodie friends with the adventure that is meal planning, shopping, cooking/baking, etc in Guatemala. Since moving into our 'propio' apartment I have had to quickly remember how to do all of the above mentioned things. Yes I was spoiled while we lived at the host families house thank you very much. One of the first things I decided to tackle was shopping for fruits and veggies in the local mercado. Now there is a 'grocery store' of sorts in Antigua but the fruits and veggies are definitely mediocre to say the least, not to mention about 100% more expensive then they are at the mercado. One reason is the freedom to barter with the actual farmer who grew the beautiful produce with their own two hands. The other reason is because as you can see by the photo, there is A LOT of competition in the market. So, one day last week when I was feeling brave my Spanish teacher and I decided to take a break from verbos and hit the mercado. It was definitely an experience but one that I am excited to become proficient at. Besides the thrill of bartering with someone in Spanish and getting them to actually give in to the price you are asking is slightly intoxicating I have to admit. Besides that however, its just freaking cheap:

Bananos,  Mandarinas,  Limas,  Zuchini,  Zanahorias/Carrots,  Pepino/Cucumber,  Aquacates/Avocados,  Ajo/Garlic,  Cilantro,  Fresas/Strawberries,  Papitas/Potatoes,  Cebolla/Onion, Tomates:                          TOTAL: $7.00
SERIOUSLY! Only $7 dollars! Amazing!! I think Gregg and I will be becoming vegetarians very soon. Especially after visiting the meat section of the mercado... 

Buen Provecho! (Guatemalan version of Bon Appetit) 

No comments:

Post a Comment